Everyone fantasizes about it, that moment when all your senses are heightened and you can’t fight the urge to get in close and tear through the coverings. Ripping off that outer layer of teasing paper to expose steaming hot and beautiful mussels!
That’s the papillote for you, a foodgasm all wrapped up and ready to be ravaged. It’s a hot, sensory overload. It’s adaptable to all your cravings, ready for action in mere minutes and there are mussels.
You might be wondering- what’s the catch? Hot, steamy, fun, mussels, effortless, there’s got to be some ghost in this papillote’s closet, but no, no catch. In fact the papillote is one of the healthiest ways to eat. By wrapping it up in it’s sexy parchment paper package, it will steam itself meaning you don’t have to use oil when cooking.
The papillote is a dream-maker, shifting shapes to whatever you desire. You can tear it open with chicken, fish and veggies, and they’re all delicious! I could go on and on about the tantalizing nature of the papillote and the millions of ways you can get it on in paper, but for now I’ll focus on the mussel. I love grabbing onto its hard, defined out layer to get to the sweetness underneath.
Thai Inspired Mussels in Papillote
- 2 pounds of mussels
- 12 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 stalk fresh ginger- chopped
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 5 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- Carrots- julienned
- 1 can coconut milk
- Egg wash
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro
- Parchment paper
- Get hot- preheat oven to 475
- Freshen up - Clean mussels, removing beards, get rid of any open ones
- Lay it out- cut parchment paper so it is in the shape of a rounded heart and lay flat
- Rumble and Tumble- Mix ingredients together in a bowl, except for coconut milk, you can adjust the flavor to your preference, if you like it spicy add chili, if you want more citrus add more lime zest, the papillote is your canvas, create any flavor combination you desire.
- Pour it on- Place the mixture in the center of the parchment paper and place some coconut milk on top.
- Wrap it- brush edges of parchment paper with egg wash and then fold around the edges like a fan so that it is sealed all the way around.
- Slide in- drizzle water over the top and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Tear it off- serve in parchment and tear into a foodgasm!
- The same method of papillote can be done with any number of flavor combinations, try adding fresh herbs and butter, Mediterranean or Indian spices.